- Table View
- List View
Now that multicore processors are coming to mobile devices, wouldn't it be great to take advantage of all those cores without having to manage threads? This concise book shows you how to use Apple's Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) to simplify programming on multicore iOS devices and Mac OS X. Managing your application's resources on more than one core isn't easy, but it's vital. Apps that use only one core in a multicore environment will slow to a crawl. If you know how to program with Cocoa or Cocoa Touch, this guide will get you started with GCD right away, with many examples to help you write high-performing multithreaded apps. Package your code as block objects and invoke them with GCD Understand dispatch queues--the pools of threads managed by GCD Use different methods for executing UI and non-UI tasks Create a group of tasks that GCD can run all at once Instruct GCD to execute tasks only once or after a delay Discover how to construct your own dispatch queues
Jazz up your iPhone and iPad apps with some slick graphics and animation--and keep users from looking elsewhere. This short and concise book shows developers with even little Cocoa programming experience how to create impressive graphics and animation effects with relatively easy coding. Learn how to incorporate smooth animations and draw images in your apps to achieve the classy look you want. The recipes in this book include step-by-step instructions and simple code solutions that you can put to work right away. Learn basic concepts for adapting to different screen sizes Construct, set, and use colors Draw text, images, lines, and rectangles Add shadows to shapes Create and draw gradients Learn how to animate and scale, rotate, or move views
Now you can overcome the vexing, real-life issues you confront when creating apps for the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. By making use of more than 100 new recipes in this updated cookbook, you'll quickly learn the steps necessary for writing complete iOS apps, whether they're as simple as a music player or feature a complex mix of animations, graphics, multimedia, a database, and iCloud storage. If you're comfortable with iOS SDK, this cookbook will teach you how to use hundreds of iOS techniques. Each recipe provides a clear solution with sample code that you can use right away. Use different approaches to construct a user interface Develop location-aware apps Get working examples for implementing gesture recognizers Play audio and video files and access the iPod library Retrieve contacts and groups from the Address Book Determine camera availability and access the Photo Library Create multitasking-aware apps Maintain persistent storage in your apps Use Event Kit to manage calendars and events Learn capabilities of the Core Graphics framework Access the accelerometer and gyroscope Take advantage of the iCloud service
Now that Apple has introduced the GameKit framework to its iOS SDK, you can integrate Game Center features directly into your iPhone and iPad apps. This concise cookbook shows you how it's done, with 18 targeted recipes for adding leaderboards, user authentication, achievements, multiplayer games, and many other features. How do you display players' scores and achievements? How do you create Game Center accounts and add friends? Each recipe in this book includes a simple code solution you can put to work immediately, along with a detailed discussion that offers insight into why and how the recipe works. Recipes include techniques to: Set up Game Center for an iOS App Use block objects and Grand Central Dispatch to write Game Center apps Authenticate a local player in Game Center Use iTunes Connect to create leaderboards and achievements Retrieve leaderboard and achievement information programmatically Handle players' state changes in multiplayer games
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.