- Table View
- List View
Get caught up in four historical romances in which unusual circumstances cause four young people to seek marriage before another prairie Christmas comes around. When marriage is given a deadline, the results are anything but conventional. Jackson needs a mother for his niece. Jerome needs money that can only come by taking a wife. Katherine needs to fulfill a promise. Anastasia needs to escape an evil plot. Can each find a spouse by Christmas?
After both her parents die and Amy is left destitute, she has no choice but to sell everything and seek out her next of kin, her cousin Kathryn, only to find that she'll soon be gone, too. With Kathryn dying, Amy is unexpectedly thrown into the position of mother and homemaker. and she can't comprehend how a loving God could allow a young mother to die when her babies need her so much. Knowing what her father was like, Amy refuses to trust any man; so she doesn't understand when Kathryn's husbands returns and wants to be a part of his children's lives. When Micah Walsh returns home to find he has a new baby, a daughter who doesn't remember him, and a wife who ha passed away, the thought of going right out to the woods looks better and better. But he might just stay to figure out who this woman is who has taken Kathryn's place. Does God have a plan for Micah and Amy, whose lives seem to be spinning out of control?
Four novellas are linked by the family they portray, and the women who sew--each novella named for the stitch its heroine favors. Deborah finds herself arrived in No Man's Land only to find that her fiancée has been killed. Rescued by Lou Stafford, she eventually proves that she is more than just "a prissy Easterner." Parson Trent Blackwell, a circuit rider, enters the picture after adopting two orphan boys who need a mother, which Lou, a Tom boy, finds herself interested in becoming. Rachel Donovan impersonates a boy to journey through No Man's Land, which surprises and outrages Josh, the family "tease", and, finally, Hope, who seems hopeless, plans an Independence Day celebration with Sam, who resents their families' attempts to foist her off on him. The setting, the small community Petunia, is enlivened by such characters as the store owner, who mourns his dead pig, Petunia, the Testaments, who like to carry off the women they "claim," and Grandma Stafford, the matriarch of the family.
On Sasha Di Carlo's eighteenth birthday, her mother, a famous actress, abandons her for a new beau. So when Sasha discovers she has family in Indian Territory, she leaves the theater world behind. She travels west searching for family, a sense of belonging, and unconditional love. Jim Conners, former soldier and carpenter extraordinaire, finds himself wandering the West, also looking to define himself. Building a house for Dewey Hummingbird brings him satisfaction-- until Sasha arrives, claiming to be Dewey's niece. Jim finds himself torn between protecting the old man's interests and growing attracted to this lovely young woman. When Dewey is threatened by unscrupulous men wanting his land, can Sasha and Jim work together, or will the deceptions surrounding them destroy their chance at love?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.