The goal of this book is to integrate information that has accumulated in recent years revealing the active role of astrocytes in physiological processing in the central nervous system and to use this as a basis for identifying pathological roles for these glial cells in the brain. Astrocytes, a subtype of glial cell, have long been neglected as active participants in intercellular communication and information processing in the central nervous system, in part due to their lack of the electrical excitability. However, astrocytes possess a diverse assortment of ion channels, neurotransmitter receptors, and transport mechanisms that enable astrocytes to respond to many of the same signals that act on neurons. Since astrocytes can detect chemical transmitters that are released from neurons and can release extracellular signals, there is an increasing awareness that they play physiological roles in regulating neuronal activity and synaptic transmission. Astrocytes also play critical roles during pathophysiological states of the nervous system.
This text book will bring together a mix of both internationally known and established senior scientists along side up and coming (but already accomplished) junior scientists that have varying expertise in fundamental and applied nanotechnology to biology and medicine.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.