Seals and Sea Lions of the World covers a fascinating group of mammals whose habitat is aquatic and whose limbs are fully adapted for swimming rather than for land locomotion. The aquatic environment and the remoteness of their habitats make seals, sea lions, and walruses difficult to study. Yet, encounters with these species have produced a great interest in their past, present, and future. The various families of the order Pinnipedia -- fur seals, sea lions, walruses, and the phocid seals -- are described and illustrated in this comprehensive volume. Their evolution, classification, distribution, life cycles, zoology, and future are also fully discussed. In addition, the complex question of these mammals' relationship with humans is examined. As with other marine-dwelling mammals, some of the issues are controversial. In examining topics such as conflicts between seals and the fishing industry and the fur trade, author Nigel Bonner provides an expert overview, based on first-hand knowledge and experience. This book sensibly places seals and their kin in context through a clear understanding of their natural history and their interactions with humans.
Informative and readable survey of the cetacean species; clear, accurate, and uncomplicated by excessive technical terminology.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.