- Table View
- List View
Will Henry could weave a tale of excitement and adventure better than any other writer of the West, and collected here are five of his greatest and most vivid frontier stories. In the opening novella "Wolf Eye," a cattle rancher must make a wrenching decision when wolves come onto his land. And "Ghost Wolf of Thunder Mountain" tells of a very different kind of wolf, one whose cry is the harbinger of death. But each tale in this book is a prime example of the artistry, the craft, and the emotion that Will Henry put into everything he wrote.
While the bloody War Between the States was ripping the country apart, Buck Bumet could only pray that the fighting would last until he could earn himself a share of the glory. Together with a ragtag band of youths who called themselves the Concho County Comanches, Buck set out to drive the damn Yankees out of his beloved Confederacy. But the trail from the plains of Texas to the killing fields of Tennessee was full of danger. Long before Buck and his comrades drew a bead on one Union soldier, they Fought the uncontrollable fury of nature and the unfathomable treachery of men. And when the brave Rebels finally met up with their anny, they were just in time to face the greatest challenge of all: a merciless battle against the forces of Grant and Sherman that would truly prove that war was hell.
Everything Will Henry wrote was infused with historical accuracy, filled with adventure, and peopled with human, believable characters. In this collection of novellas, available for the first time in paperback, Will Henry turns his storyteller's gaze toward the American Indian. "The Rescue of Chuana" follows the dangerous attempt by the Apache Kid to rescue his beloved from the Indian School in New Mexico Territory. "The Friendship of Red Fox" is the tale of a small band of Oglala Sioux who have escaped from the Pine Ridge Reservation to join up with Sitting Bull. And in "The Legend of Sotoju Mountain" an old woman and a young brave must find and defeat the giant black grizzly known to their people as Mato Sapa.
It took a tall horse to carry him, they said. He was a giant of a man, six-and-a-half-feet tall and 275 pounds. He could bend a horseshoe with his bare hands and lift a fully-loaded wagon on his back. But Sergeant Honus Schlonager was getting old and tired and he was ready to quit. Still, he had his orders. He had to find the widow woman and her three kids squatting on Indian land and bring them back to the fort. The sergeant knew that only trouble could lay ahead as he rode out into Sioux territory. But he had his orders .. . and he'd carry them out if it was the last thing he did.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.