In January, 1848, a carpenter named John Marshall came upon a glint of gold in the American River in northern California. Within a year, news of Marshall's discovery had swept the world, and gold-seekers poured into this remote territory. This book, part of the Time-Life series on the American West, traces the story of the California Gold Rush from Marshall's discovery to the late 1850s, when most of the mines had played out and the "Argonauts" dispersed. The writing is vivid and the book is filled with the stories of individual prospectors, bringing this colorful era to life.
1980. America elects Gus York to the Presidency and makes him the target of THE ZERO FACTOR The Zero Factor: To the Cuban expatriates it was coincidental to their plan--a plan for political murder of global consequence and a vengeance plot with a $10,000,000 price tag. The Zero Factor: To Le Bombardier, a cool, precise assassin, it was a trivial amusement as removed from the act as a bullet from its prey. The Zero Factor: To Augustus York, a decent honest man in a ruthless, expedient world, it was a death sentence. Twice already he had escaped it. But he was still out there somewhere, counting out the fatal ticks on an unseen, unstoppable clock, ready to claim the eighth victim of ... THE ZERO FACTOR.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.