- Table View
- List View
A secret hall of mirrors, a labyrinth of fear; Janek returns in a hypnotic thriller...<P> Nobody writes better psychological thrillers than William Bayer. And no character in contemporary crime fiction is as compelling or complex as Lieutenant Frank Janek of the N.Y.P.D. Now Bayer and Janek are back-in a brilliant novel of terror and excitement.<P> A beautiful young woman meets her latest "pickup" in a Manhattan hotel bar and goes back with him to his room, where she drugs him, robs him, and humiliates him. Several hours later, the "mark" is found dead, the mysterious young woman is wanted for the murder, and Janek and his team of detectives are assigned to the case. Simultaneously, Janek becomes involved in the reopening of a grisly society-murder investigation that has plagued Internal Affairs for nine years. As he sets out to solve both puzzles, the present and past eerily dovetail, culminating with a deadly battle in a secret mirror maze hidden beneath a "ghost" amusement park.<P> Mirror Maze sinuously leads the reader through one maze after another- literal, theoretical, and psychological. As with the other best-selling Janek novels, Switch and Wallflower, Mirror Maze is a superb police procedural, tense and violent, as well as a thoughtful examination of the blurring of illusion and reality, guilt and innocence.
Newscaster Pam Barrett witnesses a peregrine falcon, on a signal by her falconer, swoop down from the sky and kill a young woman. Her TV account of it excites the falconer and killing follows killing. Police and the media compete to find the killer.
Frank Janek, the unforgettable detective from the bestselling Switch, returns in a brilliant, shocking thriller. To capture a killer possessed by the most extreme sexual obsessions, Janek must try to think like a twisted murderer. And since the creep murdered Janek's beloved goddaughter, Janek's interest is entirely personal.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.