Steven M. Wise, author of the acclaimed "Though the Heavens May Fall," connects the near extinction of native peoples, slavery, and todayOCOs unfeeling slaughter of animals.
President of the Center for the Expansion of Fundamental Rights, Wise has taught law at several US colleges, has written several books, and has practiced animal rights law since 1982. Here he delves into the history of a particular piece of land in Bladen County, North Carolina. He went to investigate reports of cruelty to pigs at a slaughterhouse and related factory hog farms, and discovered that they were located on what had been the fields of a plantation worked by black slaves. Before that, he found, Natives Americans lived there, admiring and respecting animals for centuries. He looks at how the genocide and the slavery were eventually stopped by religious activists, and discusses how the same religious values are working to stop the torture and slaughter today. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
This book integrates time-honored approaches to empowerment practice with today's more modest goals, mindful of what empowerment can and cannot do. Synthesizing several theoretical supports--the strengths perspective, system theory, theories of family well-being, and theories of coping--the author responds to the question "What works?" with today's families in need. Practice illustrations are provided throughout.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.