- Table View
- List View
In "Getting Even," Woody Allen revenges himself on such significant subjects as death, obesity, organized crime, the invention of the sandwich, adult education, laundry lists of famous people, and Latin American revolutionaries.
'I am greatly relieved that the universe is finally explainable. I was beginning to think it was me. ' Thus begins 'Strung Out', Woody Allen's hilarious application of the laws of the universe to daily life. MERE ANARCHY, Woody Allen's first new collection in 25 years, features eighteen witty, wild and intelligent comic pieces - nine of which have never been in print before. Surreal, absurd, rich in verbal play, bitingly satirical and just plain daft, this collection includes tales of a body double - mistaken for the film's star - kidnapped by outlaws; a pretentious writer forced to work on the novelisation of a Three Stooges film; a nanny secretly writing an expose of her Manhattan employers; crooks selling bespoke prayers on ebay; and how to react when you're asked to finance a Broadway play about the invention and manufacture of the adjustable showerhead. Laced with his unique brand of humour and reminiscent of some of his finest films, MERE ANARCHY is an essential collection of tales by the inimitable Woody Allen.
Three delightful one-act plays set in and around New York, in which sophisticated characters confound one another in ways only Woody Allen could imagine Woody Allen's first dramatic writing published in years, "Riverside Drive," "Old Saybrook," and "Central Park West" are humorous, insightful, and unusually readable plays about infidelity. The characters, archetypal New Yorkers all, start out talking innocently enough, but soon the most unexpected things arise--and the reader enjoys every minute of it (though not all the characters do). These plays (successfully produced on the New York stage and in regional theaters on the East Coast) dramatize Allen's continuing preoccupation with people who rationalize their actions, hide what they're doing, and inevitably slip into sexual deception--all of it revealed in Allen's quintessentially pell-mell dialogue. From the Trade Paperback edition.
From the book jacket: The Philadelphia Inquirer says: "Woody Allen is more than a household name. His one-liners are part of our oral history." From Without Feathers here are some new one-liners oral history has been waiting for ... Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage. My Lord, my Lord! What hast Thou done, lately? On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done as easily lying down. Of all the wonders of nature, a tree in summer is perhaps the most remarkable, with the possible exception of a moose singing "Embrace-able You" in spats. How wrong Emily Dickinson was! Hope is not "the thing with feathers." The thing with feathers has turned out to be my nephew. I must take him to a specialist in Zurich.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.