- Table View
- List View
Bound for Glory is the autobiography of Woody Guthrie, the founder of modern American folk music. It is a funny, cynical, earthy and tragic account of his life in an Oklahoma oil-boom town, of the Depression that followed,and of his subsequent travels in, on,and under trains, in stolen cars and on his feet, round an America going rotten from the top downwards
Latkes and goody things all over town, It's Honeyky Hanukah time. In Woody Guthrie's rowdy, funny celebration of a Hanukah night, a young boy and his dog move merrily from house to house, gathering up family and friends for a big feast at Bubbe's.
Newly discovered, and with an introduction by Johnny Depp, this is legendary American folk singer Woody Guthrie's only finished novel: a compelling portrait of two hardscrabble farmers struggling during the Dust Bowl. Filled with the homespun lyricism that made Guthrie's songs unforgettable, this is the story of an ordinary couple's dream of a better life in a corrupt world. Living in a precarious wooden shack, Texan farmers Tike and Ella May yearn for a sturdy house to protect them from the treacherous elements. Thanks to a government pamphlet, Tike knows how to build a simple adobe dwelling from the land itself-- a house of earth. But while the land on which Tike and Ella May live and work is not theirs, their dream remains painfully out of reach. A rural tale of progressive activism, HOUSE OF EARTH is a searing portrait of hardship and hope set against a ravaged landscape. Combining the moral urgency and narrative drive of John Steinbeck with the erotic frankness of D. H. Lawrence, it is a powerful tale of America from a great artist.
One of America's most beloved folk songs is brought to life in a richly illustrated edition for the the whole family to share.Includes Read Aloud/Read to Me functionality--including audio of "This Land Is Your Land" performed by Pete Seeger--where available.Book Description:Woody Guthrie's powerful lyrics and Kathy Jakobsen's detailed paintings invite readers on a journey across the country, creating an unforgettable portrait of our diverse land and the people who live it.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.