- Table View
- List View
Teenagers Michael and Meredith Lamb find new friends and mountains to climb when they travel from war-torn London to New Hampshire with their Uncle Tony during World War II.
An African prince who became a slave and then, at sixty, a free man. A Newbery medal winner
One spring day, after months of thinking about the good farming soil in the West, Carolina's father decides to buy a covered wagon and take his family to the new land. Carolina is sorry to leave their farm and the village and the hills that she loves, but at least she is permitted to take along her beloved doll, Lydia-Lou. Set in the 1850s, this story tells of a young girl whose family moves from rocky New Hampshire to the wide-open land of Nebraska. Their struggles, fears, and loneliness draw them closer together and confirm their reliance on God. During the long and arduous journey, Carolina's father teaches his family about selflessness, courage, and faith. And it is his words that Carolina remembers when she faces her hardest sacrifice of all.
Jared Austin, staunch member of the mutual protection society that defends his 1830s New Hampshire community against thieves, tries to temper justice with mercy when his deaf daughter Melody befriends a young Irish immigrant who has stolen a horse.
Fifteen-year-old Michael and his fourteen-year-old sister Merry accompany their adventurous Uncle Tony to Iceland, where they explore the remote mountainous countryside in search of a long-lost relative of one of their uncle's friends.
This book, set in New Hampshire, is about the adventure of a young boy who travels far from home with a journeyman painter named Mr. Toppan.
A boy in a family of sheep farmers raises a black lamb to be the leader of the flock.
Each spring for hundreds of years, the herons have returned to Chilham, England, but only now have they become important to Kent.
Thirteen-year-old Peter gets a chance to earn his doubting father's trust when he successfully handles the important task of tapping the sugar maples to make syrup for their mountain farm.
Describes the search for and adventures of a young girl lost in a New Hampshire forest in the pioneer days. Based on a true incident.
From the book Jacket: Sound Friendships is the story of Willa Macy, who lost her hearing when she was fourteen years old, and Honey, a golden retriever, who helped her to discover a new world of independence and security. It is also a story about Hearing Dogs-their background, training, special abilities, and the unique relationship they develop with their owners in working to surmount the barriers of a physical handicap.
A visit to Switzerland with their adventurous Uncle Tony brings Michael and Meredith new friends and an introduction to the art of mountain climbing.
Son of a French nobleman and a Chippewa Indian woman, Guillaume has spent half of his life in his father's Montréal château, half in his mother's village. When his father returns to France, the 16-year-old is determined to make his own way in the world. He signs up with a rough and ready crew of voyageurs, who yearly make their journey into the wilds of Canada to bring back the rich furs that have made New France prosperous. Newbery award winner Elizabeth Yates skillfully weaves history and the theme of a young man coming to grips with two worlds' conflicting demands. Included in the book is an extensive collection of voyageur songs, with music and lyrics.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.