- Table View
- List View
Segal (psychotherapy, U. of Toronto), J. Mark G. Williams (clinical psychology, U. of Wales-Bangor) and John D. Teasdale (Medical Research Council's Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, England) describe an approach to treating depression that combines the Eastern meditative practices and perspectives of mindfulness meditation, with the Western psychological epistemologies and practices of cognitive therapy. They speak to clinicians and researchers. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This bestselling work, now in a new edition, has introduced tens of thousands of clinicians to mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for depression, an eight-week program with proven effectiveness. Step by step, the authors explain the "whys" and "how-tos" of conducting mindfulness practices and cognitive interventions that have been shown to bolster recovery from depression and prevent relapse. Clinicians are also guided to practice mindfulness themselves, an essential prerequisite to teaching others. More than 40 reproducible handouts are included. Book purchasers get access to a companion Web page featuring downloadable audio recordings of the guided mindfulness practices (meditations and mindful movement), plus all of the reproducibles, ready to download and print in a convenient 8 1/2" x 11" size. A separate Web page for use by clients features the audio recordings only. New to This Edition Incorporates a decade's worth of developments in MBCT clinical practice and training. Chapters on additional treatment components the pre-course interview and optional full-day retreat. Chapters on self-compassion, the inquiry process, and the three-minute breathing space. Findings from multiple studies of MBCT's effectiveness and underlying mechanisms. Includes studies of adaptations for treating psychological and physical health problems other than depression. Audio files of the guided mindfulness practices, narrated by Dr. Segal, on two separate Web pages one for professionals, together with the reproducibles, and one just for clients. See also the related title for clients Many MBCT therapists recommend the bestselling self-help guide The Mindful Way through Depression (by Drs. Williams, Teasdale, Segal, and Kabat-Zinn) to their clients.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.