Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 299 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book like most of Verne's works describes the Amazon, the longest river in the world in great detail. As a backdrop, there is the story of Joam Garol an upright head of a homestead. The trip down the Amazon is necessitated by his daughter, Minha falling in love with Manoel, a friend of Benito Joam's son. Before the start of their journey, they meet Fargoso a barber. We need to go back a little way now to the beginning of the book. The first 2 chapters deal with an unscrupulous captain of the woods, Torres. He is seen attempting to decipher a cryptogram. Joam Garrole harbors a terrible secret and Torres's intent is to blackmail him and become rich. This secret is one of the reasons that Joam never left the homestead and had to flee to Brazil. Things come to a head when Torres demands the hand of Minha and he reports Joam to the authorities. Benito duels with Torres but the damage is done. Joam is imprisoned. The true story of the crime of Tijuco lies in the cryptogram that Torres possesses. This is retrieved and Fargoso is the one who gets the key to the cryptogram and Joam's conviction is overturned at last! I wish Joam Garrole had been up-front about the state of affairs with his family so that they had been better prepared to handle his arrest. There is too much atmosphere building in the book but then we would not have had such an excellent description of the Amazon. Finally, I recommend the cryptogram and the second part of the book to all those who wish to study cryptography. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.