Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 299 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book like most of Verne's works describes the Amazon, the longest river in the world in great detail. As a backdrop, there is the story of Joam Garol an upright head of a homestead. The trip down the Amazon is necessitated by his daughter, Minha falling in love with Manoel, a friend of Benito Joam's son. Before the start of their journey, they meet Fargoso a barber. We need to go back a little way now to the beginning of the book. The first 2 chapters deal with an unscrupulous captain of the woods, Torres. He is seen attempting to decipher a cryptogram. Joam Garrole harbors a terrible secret and Torres's intent is to blackmail him and become rich. This secret is one of the reasons that Joam never left the homestead and had to flee to Brazil. Things come to a head when Torres demands the hand of Minha and he reports Joam to the authorities. Benito duels with Torres but the damage is done. Joam is imprisoned. The true story of the crime of Tijuco lies in the cryptogram that Torres possesses. This is retrieved and Fargoso is the one who gets the key to the cryptogram and Joam's conviction is overturned at last! I wish Joam Garrole had been up-front about the state of affairs with his family so that they had been better prepared to handle his arrest. There is too much atmosphere building in the book but then we would not have had such an excellent description of the Amazon. Finally, I recommend the cryptogram and the second part of the book to all those who wish to study cryptography. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.