Grades 9 and up
Silent Dancing is about a young girl as she struggles through life, constantly being moved from the U.S. to Puerto Rico, and back again.
Stories filled with wonder and the haunting beauty of his culture have helped make Rudolfo Anaya the father of Chicano literature in English, and his tales fairly shimmer with the lyric richness of his prose.
This is a collection of short stories based on the life of the author, Francisco Jiménez, while he was growing up as the son of a migrant farm worker in California.
1967. En Buenos Aires aparece la novela de un escritor colombiano de cuarenta años. No queda hoy lengua literaria a la que no haya sido traducida.
Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in turn-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.
This is a personal account of a young Cuban's departure from his native country and his assimilation of American culture and values, including marriage to an American, raising an American family, teaching at an American university....
Fourteen-year-old Mexican American Lincoln Mendoza spends a summer with a host family in Japan, encountering new experiences and making new friends.
Manny Hernandez es un joven de 14 años que debe enfrentarse a ese momento cruciál en su vida.
When a young girl and her privileged family in Mexico is forced to move to the United States, they learn to depend on and love each other more.
Twelve-year-old Uno is conscripted into the army of a revolutionary force in a Central American country that is fighting for its freedom.
Maria and her brother and sister, Salvadoran refugees, are smuggled into the United States in crates and try to eke out a living in Chicago with the help of a sympathetic family.
La casa en Mango Street es la historia de una chica que mueve a una casa nueva en Mango Street pero no quiere vivir en el barrio.
The book follows two people and their families' different journeys through the hard times of the Mexican Revolution and into U.S. and the different lives waiting for them. They meet new challenges and learn to adjust there.
When Cristina García's first novel, Dreaming in Cuban, was published in 1992, The New York Times called the author "a magical new writer...completely original.
Fourteen-year-old Lincoln Mendoza, an aspiring basketball player, must come to terms with his divided loyalties when he moves from the Hispanic inner city to a white suburban neighborhood.
Stories in Spanish and English. Cuentos en Español y Inglés.
America is a primary school student who is unhappy in school until a poet visits the class and inspires the students to express themselves creatively -- in Spanish or English.
Esmeralda Santiago's story begins in rural Puerto Rico, where her childhood was full of both tenderness and domestic strife, tropical sounds and sights as well as poverty.
A biography of the Cuban ballerina who founded her own ballet school and company, performed with the Ballet Russe, and continued to dance even after she lost her sight.
After suddenly being orphaned, twelve-year-old Consuelo reluctantly moves in with her American grandmother while hoping to return soon to her Mexican American family.
The everyday experiences of an eight-year-old Puerto Rican girl growing up in a close-knit, urban community.
Feeling like an outsider when she visits her relatives in Puerto Rico for the first time, eleven-year-old Felita finds herself having to come to terms with the heritage she always took for granted.
Hermanas / Sistersby Paulsen, Gary
A collection of thirteen short stories about the everyday lives of Mexican American young people in California's Central Valley.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.