- Table View
- List View
Nothing is overdone and not a word is out of place in this auspicious debut," wrote Kirkus in a starred review of Instead of Three Wishes, the first book by Megan Whalen Turner. Her second book more than fulfills that promise.
Nhamo's mother is dead, and her father is gone. She is a virtual slave in her small African village. Before her twelfth birthday, Nhamo learns that she must marry a cruel man with three other wives and decides desperately to run away.
From the author of "Catherine, Called Birdy" comes another spellbinding novel set in medieval England. The girl known only as Brat has no family, no home, and no future until she meets Jane the Midwife and becomes her apprentice.
When Jamie saw him throw the baby, saw Van throw the little baby, saw Van throw his little sister Nin, then they moved out. They move into a little trailer and things are fine...as long as no one gets too close. A Newbery Honor Book.
Historical fiction of the civil rights movement in the South during the 60s. Winner of numerous awards.
Yolonda's mother decides to move to a smaller, safer town than Chicago. Coping with the move isn't easy for Yolonda, because she hates her new town, but it's worse for her little brother.
Story of the great fire of 1871, one of the most colossal disasters in American history.
After her mother leaves home suddenly, 13-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Winner of the 1995 Newbery Medal.
A novel, in diary form, of a young woman living in medieval England in 1290.
The future world of Zimbabwe depends on Africa's most unusual detectives: the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, to find the General's three missing children.
Twelve-year-old Jonas lives in a seemingly ideal world. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver does he begin to understand the dark secrets behind this fragile community.
Leslie Jane Conly's Newbery Honor winner is a heart-warming tale of how one boy's view of the world is changed.
When he accidentally kills a Manchu, a Chinese boy is sent to America to join his father working to build a tunnel for a railroad through the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Biography of Eleanor Roosevelt for children and teens.
This story is about Summer after her foster mother's sudden death, but also her sorrow witnessing the grief of Ob, her foster father.
Jimmy is 14, living in Harlem, and holding his own in a pretty tough world. But things get tougher when his father Crab shows up, after being gone 9 years.
The Dark-Thirty is a collection of original stories rooted in African-American history and the oral storytelling tradition.
Recipient of a 1993 Newbery Honor, this novel is an achingly beautiful, powerfully rendered journey through childhood that is not to be missed, now available in a new edition with a striking new cover.
Marty will do anything to save his new friend Shiloh. When Marty Preston comes across a young beagle in the hills behind his home, it's love at first sight -- and also big trouble.
Philip was just humming along with the tape of the Star Spangled Banner, played each day in his homeroom. How could this minor incident turn into a major national scandal?
The first powered, sustained, and controlled airplane flight, and the men behind it.
They say Maniac Magee was born in a dump. They say his stomach was a cereal box and his heart a sofa spring. A Newbery Honor Book.
Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial and found guilty ...
This Newbery Medal Book describes how a ten-year-old Danish girl's bravery is tested when her best friend is threatened by Nazis in 1943.
Something strange and wonderful has appeared in Sara-Kate's junky and overgrown yard - a tiny delicate village built of sticks and leaves. A Newbery Honor book.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.