How do I use Darwin Reader?
Android users can download Bookshare books directly on their device with Darwin Reader. Darwin Reader is available in the Google Play Store for purchase, although they also offer a trial version for free. Like other Bookshare-integrated mobile apps, Darwin Reader features built-in Text to Speech and word-level highlighting. Once you've installed Darwin Reader, follow the steps below to download your first book:
- Open Darwin Reader.
- Select the Add Books to Library button towards the top of the screen.
- Select the Benetech Bookshare button.
- Enter in your Bookshare username and password, then select the Login button.
- To search for a specific book, select the Search button (the magnifying glass). Enter in the title or author of the book, then select the Search button.
- To browse for books, select a search category, such as Popular, Latest, or Periodicals.
- Select the name of the book from the search results, then select the Download Book button on the next screen.
- Once the book is downloaded, select the Log Out of Bookshare button to return to the main search page.
- Select the Back button on your Android device to return to your Darwin Reader Library. All books that you’ve downloaded should be listed towards the top of the screen above the Add Books to Library button.
- Select a book from your Library to open it. Once the book opens, select the Play button on the bottom of the screen to start the audio. You can adjust your settings using the menu button in the top right corner of the screen.