What reading tools can I use with a switch?
Many of our reading tools are switch-compatible, including Web Reader and Read:OutLoud. Both programs have keyboard shortcuts to start and stop the Text to Speech. We recommend binding your switch to these keys for greater accessibility. In Web Reader, Alt + P starts and stops the TTS, while Ctrl + T controls the audio in Read:OutLoud.
To read a book in Web Reader:
- Using a computer or a Chromebook, open Google Chrome or Safari (Mac only) and log in to Bookshare.*
- Search for a book using the search box at the top of the page.
- After finding a book in the search results, select the Read Now link below the book’s title.
- Once your book has opened, select the Play button (the "speaker" icon in the top right) to start listening to the book.
* Please note that Web Reader is only available to Individual and Organizational Members.
Read:OutLoud is available for both PC (Windows XP and higher) and Mac (OS 10.4 to 10.8) users. Members can download Read:OutLoud through their Bookshare account.