Turn It Up & Tell the World - Games & Gizmos
Books for the Week of July 13 - 19
Bonus Read - Go Set a Watchman
Literary history is being made tomorrow with the release of
Check out these awesome staff recommended titles and join in this week’s discussion on Facebook, Twitter, and the Bookshare website. You can also find other great titles by category using Advanced Search.
- Play These Games: 101 Delightful Diversions Using Everyday Items by Heather Swain (All ages). Make and play these great games with things you already have around the house.
- Nick and Tesla’s Robot Army Rampage by Steve Hockensmith and Bob Pflugfelder (Grades 3-6). An exciting mystery that includes instructions on how to create your own army of robots!
- Geocaching (Boy Scouts Merit Badge Series) (Grades 6-10). Offering an adventure anyone can join, this book teaches core essentials including how to play, tips and tricks for finding and placing caches, and key safety tips.
- Adventures in Minecraft by David Whale (Grades 9-12). Learn how to extend Minecraft and create a new gaming experience, by exploring the magical world of Minecraft programming.
- Everything Card Tricks Book by Dennise Rourke (All ages). Featuring intriguing party tricks guaranteed to awe and entertain, this easy-to-follow guide has all you need to impress even the toughest skeptics.
- Exploring LEGO Mindstorms EV3 by Eun Jung Park (Grades 8-12). Essential guide to programming interactive LEGO robots.
- Tinkering: Kids Learn By Making Stuff by Curt Gabrielson (All ages). Projects for families that lead to greater exploration and understanding of how things work.
- The Best of MAKE (Adults). Oh, your Roomba can do so much more than just clean the floor… These projects, gathered from the pages of MAKE magazine, will astonish and delight.
- Is That A Word? By Dave Hopkins and David Buszpan (All ages). This lively guide helps readers make the most out of word games like Scrabble and Words With Friends, packed with new ways to remember the best words alongside tips for improving game play and much more.
- World of Warcraft Gold Strategy Guide by Eric Dekker (Adults). A veritable “gold mine” of tips, strategies and insider examples to build your wealth in World of Warcraft.
- Console Wars by Blake J. Harris (Adults). A mesmerizing, behind-the-scenes business thriller that chronicles how Sega, a small, scrappy gaming company led by an unlikely visionary and a team of rebels, took on the juggernaut Nintendo and revolutionized the videogame industry.
- The Science of James Bond: From Bullets to Bowler Hats to Boat Jumps, the Real Technology Behind 007's Fabulous Films by Lois H. Gresh and Robert Weinberg (Adults). From the sleek Aston Martin that spits out bullets, nails, and passengers at the push of a button to the microjet that makes hairpin turns to avoid a heat-seeking missile, the science and technology of James Bond films have kept millions of movie fans guessing for decades. Are these amazing feats and gadgets truly possible?
- Masters of Doom: How 2 Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture by David Kushner (Adults). Masters of Doom is the amazing true story of the Lennon and McCartney of video games: John Carmack and John Romero, and their unique wild ride of the American dream.