The Great Boer War
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 519 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- English US
- History, Nonfiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of The Great Boer War (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is a graphic account of the second Boer war which took place from 1899 to 1902. It was fought in South Africa between the Boers of Dutch origin and the British Empire. Doyle's book goes into considerable length about the causes of the Boer war. It details the oppression that they had to undergo especially when working the newly found gold mines in the South African republic. The Boers made several preemptive strikes and the British did not have a cohesive strategy to deal with them. This phase was marked by the engagements of Ladysmith, Mafeking and Kimberley. The Boers were a very mobile enemy and had better guns as compared to the British at that time. The second phase was when the British with a massive increase in troop numbers commanded by Lord Roberts defeated the main Boer army. The third phase was the gorilla war raged by the Boers most probably out of a sense of vengeance. The engagements of the war are well described though it is a good idea to keep a map of South Africa handy while reading the book. The book is well paced but keeping track of the different names of peoples and the different troop movements becomes a shade difficult. Doyle is however an impartial historian and presents both sides of the conflict. He follows a much nuanced approach and is open about British faults and Boer successes. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.