The Great Boer War
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 519 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- History, Nonfiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of The Great Boer War (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is a graphic account of the second Boer war which took place from 1899 to 1902. It was fought in South Africa between the Boers of Dutch origin and the British Empire. Doyle's book goes into considerable length about the causes of the Boer war. It details the oppression that they had to undergo especially when working the newly found gold mines in the South African republic. The Boers made several preemptive strikes and the British did not have a cohesive strategy to deal with them. This phase was marked by the engagements of Ladysmith, Mafeking and Kimberley. The Boers were a very mobile enemy and had better guns as compared to the British at that time. The second phase was when the British with a massive increase in troop numbers commanded by Lord Roberts defeated the main Boer army. The third phase was the gorilla war raged by the Boers most probably out of a sense of vengeance. The engagements of the war are well described though it is a good idea to keep a map of South Africa handy while reading the book. The book is well paced but keeping track of the different names of peoples and the different troop movements becomes a shade difficult. Doyle is however an impartial historian and presents both sides of the conflict. He follows a much nuanced approach and is open about British faults and Boer successes. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.