The Mysterious Island
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 587 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Science Fiction and Fantasy, Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of The Mysterious Island (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is set in 1865 at a time when the American civil war was at its height. Captain Cyrus Harding, Gideon Spilen, a reporter for the New York Herald, Nebuchadnezzar a servant of Captain Harding, Pencroft a sailor and Herbert a relative of Pencroft resolve to escape Richmond where they are being held as prisoners of war. They do so in a balloon and are blown to an island. The book then goes into great detail about how they managed on the island. It is almost comparable to Robinson Crusoe. However, they continue to get help when they most need it which is very strange since they know of no other living agency other than themselves on the island. They expend considerable time and effort in searching for this mysterious friend. We eventually learn that this friend is Captain Nemo of 20000 leagues under the seas. He is dying and his true identity is revealed towards the end of the book. The adventurers are rescued by the Duncon which featured in another Vern adventure. This book is excellent for practical survival tips and shows what determined men of strong character can do even under the most adverse circumstances. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.