From the Earth to the Moon
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 298 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of From the Earth to the Moon (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is set in the early 1800s when we did not know what we now know of the moon. President Barbicane of the gun club wants to send a projectile to the moon. The proposal excites everyone. The excitement spreads internationally and a Frenchman Michel Ardan decides to enter the projectile and travel to the moon. An old rival of president Barbicane's Captain Nicholl also joins the expedition. The bulk of the book is an account of overcoming the difficulties of the mechanics of getting to the moon. However, the book is also a fascinating commentary on the enthusiasm of the human race for exploration. Verne also creates some unforgettable characters such as J. T. Maston, secretary of the gun club. By today's standards, the book is almost a joke since things are not so simple. The accidents that have occurred in the world's space programs bare more than adequate testimony to this. However, this is one of the books that fired the imagination of everyone and took a stab at sending people to the moon. Most of Verne's work is scientifically accurate. This adds to its plausibility and by the end of the book I wish that I was in the projectile. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.