From the Earth to the Moon
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 298 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of From the Earth to the Moon (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is set in the early 1800s when we did not know what we now know of the moon. President Barbicane of the gun club wants to send a projectile to the moon. The proposal excites everyone. The excitement spreads internationally and a Frenchman Michel Ardan decides to enter the projectile and travel to the moon. An old rival of president Barbicane's Captain Nicholl also joins the expedition. The bulk of the book is an account of overcoming the difficulties of the mechanics of getting to the moon. However, the book is also a fascinating commentary on the enthusiasm of the human race for exploration. Verne also creates some unforgettable characters such as J. T. Maston, secretary of the gun club. By today's standards, the book is almost a joke since things are not so simple. The accidents that have occurred in the world's space programs bare more than adequate testimony to this. However, this is one of the books that fired the imagination of everyone and took a stab at sending people to the moon. Most of Verne's work is scientifically accurate. This adds to its plausibility and by the end of the book I wish that I was in the projectile. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.