The Poison Belt
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 84 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of The Poison Belt (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This book is based in the time when science was in its infancy. It is a sequel to the lost world. Prof. George E. Challenger, Lord John Roxton, Prof. Summerlee, and Mr. E. D. Malone a reporter for the Daily Gazette, are on the verge of having a get-together to celebrate their anniversary of the lost world adventure. Ed Malone is called into the editor's office and is set to interview Professor Challenger about the blurring of Fraunhofer's lines. Professor challenger has postulated that the world is passing through a belt of poisonous ether. His supposition is proven correct when people in different parts of the world begin to fall ill. The professor gets a stream of telephones and telegrams. People begin behaving queerly and the only temporary cure is oxygen. Challenger has asked his friends to bring oxygen tubes with them so they have enough. The book also describes a drive they take through what they believe to be a dead world. However, this is not the case. People soon begin reviving and things are back to normal. The language in the book would be considered old English now but is understandable and very funny. The story stands alone in its own right so there is no need to read the prequel to fully enjoy this story. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.