The "How Tos" of OER Commons
- Brief Synopsis:
- Become a participant in the OER movement! Learn about open content and open education, licensing of open content, and the benefits of making and using OER.
- Long Synopsis:
- Become a participant in the OER movement! Learn about open content and open education, licensing of open content, and the benefits of making and using OER. Using real-life examples from OER Commons, you'll learn about adapting and remixing content to meet your needs. By the end of this course, you will be able to locate materials you can use in your teaching and learning as well as share some of your own. The "How Tos" of OER Commons is a set of learning modules evolving out of the development of OER Commons (http://www.oercommons.org), a teaching and learning network for free-to-use educational materials from around the world, created and licensed by the Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education (ISKME). Course contributors are Lisa Petrides, Amee Godwin, and Cynthia Jimes, and online learning consultant, Patricia Delich. For more information, visit http://www.iskme.org and http://elearningnetworks.com.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Nonfiction, Educational Materials
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
Reviews of The "How Tos" of OER Commons (0 reviews)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.