- Brief Synopsis:
- CK-12 Foundation's Chemistry FlexBook Covers the following chapters: The Science of Chemistry- scientific method, history, matter, energy. Chemistry: A Physical Science- measurement, formulas. Chemistry in the Laboratory- qualitative vs.
- Long Synopsis:
- CK-12 Foundation's Chemistry FlexBook Covers the following chapters: The Science of Chemistry- scientific method, history, matter, energy. Chemistry: A Physical Science- measurement, formulas. Chemistry in the Laboratory- qualitative vs. quantitative observation. The Atomic Theory- atomic model from Dalton to Rutherford. The Bohr Model of the Atom- electromagnetic radiation, atomic spectra & Bohr model. Quantum Mechanics Model of the Atom- energy and standing waves, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, Schrödinger's equation. Electron Configurations for Atoms- electron spin, Aufbau principle. Electron Configurations and the Periodic Table- relation of electron configuration to position on the periodic table. Relationships Between the Elements- chemical families from electron configuration; valence electrons, Lewis dot formulas. Trends on the Periodic Table- periodic trends: atomic size. Ions and the Compounds They Form- ionization, ionic bonding. Writing and Naming Ionic Formulas- predicting charge. Covalent Bonding- nature and naming of covalent bonds. Molecular Architecture- polar molecule, electronic/ molecular models of covalent molecules. Chemical Reactions- mass & mole calculations, reaction types. Mathematics and Chemical Equations- stoichiometry, heat of reaction. The Kinetic Molecular Theory- gas properties, combined and universal gas laws. The Liquid State- phase change. The Solid State- intermolecular forces. Solution Process- solvation, concentration, solubility, colligative properties. Ions in Solution- dissociation, electrolytes, non-electrolytes, ionic/ net-ionic equations. Chemical Kinetics- reaction rate. Chemical Equilibrium- reaction rates, equilibrium constant, Le Chatelier's principle, solubility product constant. Acids and Bases- strength of acids & bases, hydrolysis, pH. Water, pH, and Titration- dissociation of water, acid-base indicators, buffers. Thermodynamics- bond breaking and formation, heat of reaction and formation, Hess' law, entropy, Gibb's free energy. Electrochemistry- oxidation-reduction, electrochemical cells. Nuclear Chemistry- radioactivity, nuclear equations/ energy. Organic Chemistry- hydrocarbons, functional groups.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- CK-12 Foundation
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Nonfiction, Science, Textbooks
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
Reviews of CK-12 Chemistry (0 reviews)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.