The Hound of the Baskervilles
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 175 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
- Usage Restrictions:
- This book is in the public domain and is freely available to all.
4 out of 5
By Nathalie Brossard on Nov 15, 2010
Sherlock Holmes is called in by Dr. James Mortimer to investigate the strange legend of The Hound of the Baskervilles. The Baskervilles have been a family that has been violent and legend has it that many members have met their death due to this hound. The last Baskerville was much taken with this legend. To add to this, he died under mysterious circumstances. His doctor and family friend Dr. Mortimer is concerned for the well being of the new heir Sir, Henry Baskerville. Things start happening to Sir Henry as soon as he lands in England. The happenings are curious such as him losing a new boot. Dr. Watson, Dr. Mortimer and Sir Henry go down to Baskerville hall. Dr. Watson starts investigating and discovers several clues. The book has an atmosphere of its own and there are several thrilling incidents such as the butler, Barrymore and his wife signaling to her convict brother. The story progresses and has a truly climactic end. It is not a "they lived happily ever after" kind of end but a nuanced ending which deals with the consequences of events too. This is one of the best stories involving Sherlock Holmes. Written by Pranav Lal
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.