- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 46 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- English US
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
Reviews of The Parasite (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
Doyle is best known for Sherlock Holmes. However, he has written plenty of other books as well. He seems to have been fascinated by the conflict raging between the spirit world and the scientific world. This conflict is relevant today though thanks to FMRI and other brain imaging techniques, we can better study this kind of thing. The protagonist professor Gilroy is a scientist investigating physiology. He is a firm skeptic when it comes to phenomenon like the spirit world etc. However, the professor is of a nervous temperament. He has a colleague who is experimenting on the spirit with the help of a medium called Helen Penclosa. Professor Gilroy is also engaged to Ms. Agatha Marden. The medium through a demonstration is able to convince professor Gilroy that it is possible to mesmerize people. He begins to study her by getting mesmerized himself. He records his impressions in a diary which is how the story unfolds. He spurns her love and things go downhill from there. The medium is able to make professor Gilroy do anything she wants such as to try robbing a local bank. He finally decides to kill her since she has lead to his dishonor but is saved from doing so by her death. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.