- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 46 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
Reviews of The Parasite (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
Doyle is best known for Sherlock Holmes. However, he has written plenty of other books as well. He seems to have been fascinated by the conflict raging between the spirit world and the scientific world. This conflict is relevant today though thanks to FMRI and other brain imaging techniques, we can better study this kind of thing. The protagonist professor Gilroy is a scientist investigating physiology. He is a firm skeptic when it comes to phenomenon like the spirit world etc. However, the professor is of a nervous temperament. He has a colleague who is experimenting on the spirit with the help of a medium called Helen Penclosa. Professor Gilroy is also engaged to Ms. Agatha Marden. The medium through a demonstration is able to convince professor Gilroy that it is possible to mesmerize people. He begins to study her by getting mesmerized himself. He records his impressions in a diary which is how the story unfolds. He spurns her love and things go downhill from there. The medium is able to make professor Gilroy do anything she wants such as to try robbing a local bank. He finally decides to kill her since she has lead to his dishonor but is saved from doing so by her death. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.