Tales of Terror and Mystery
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 196 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- English US
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
Reviews of Tales of Terror and Mystery (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This is a collection of stories that Doyle believes fall into the horror category. None of these are very scary unless you have a vivid imagination. The mystery stories are a pleasant diversion. The first story, the Horror of the Heights recounts the adventures of a pilot Joyce Armstrong. He battles several creatures of the air. He succeeds once but is killed later. There are other stories dealing with a monster that terrorizes a local farmer, the mystery of the beetle hunter that have unexpected but gratifying endings. For example in the beetle hunter, a newly qualified medical doctor sees an advertisement for a strong man who is also fond of beetles. The people answering the advertisement are influential members of the British aristocracy. He is taken to one of their houses where he is successful in putting an end to the danger that threatens them. The danger is not a monster and there is no reference to the occult here. A lot of the stories are quite believable. Again, their context needs to be taken into account. Most of them are based in the early 19th century. They are still an excellent read especially the mystery section. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.