Tales of Terror and Mystery
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 196 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
Reviews of Tales of Terror and Mystery (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This is a collection of stories that Doyle believes fall into the horror category. None of these are very scary unless you have a vivid imagination. The mystery stories are a pleasant diversion. The first story, the Horror of the Heights recounts the adventures of a pilot Joyce Armstrong. He battles several creatures of the air. He succeeds once but is killed later. There are other stories dealing with a monster that terrorizes a local farmer, the mystery of the beetle hunter that have unexpected but gratifying endings. For example in the beetle hunter, a newly qualified medical doctor sees an advertisement for a strong man who is also fond of beetles. The people answering the advertisement are influential members of the British aristocracy. He is taken to one of their houses where he is successful in putting an end to the danger that threatens them. The danger is not a monster and there is no reference to the occult here. A lot of the stories are quite believable. Again, their context needs to be taken into account. Most of them are based in the early 19th century. They are still an excellent read especially the mystery section. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.