The Return of Sherlock Holmes
- Brief Synopsis:
- Stories of Sherlock Holmes
- Long Synopsis:
- Stories of Sherlock Holmes
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 323 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Mystery and Thrillers, Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jim Pardee
- Usage Restrictions:
- This book is in the public domain and is freely available to all.
Reviews of The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, had wanted to kill him but the public outcry after the story called the final problem was immense so he had to bring Holmes back. He does so in dramatic fashion in the adventure of the empty house. We learn that Holmes never went into the Reichenbach Falls but was able to save himself thanks to his knowledge of Baritsu, or the art of Japanese wrestling. There are several other stories that will delight a Holmes fan. In some of the stories, the reader cannot follow the steps as they happen since Holmes gets a lot of his information via telegrams, whose contents are not revealed to the reader at that point. However, one story that the reader can follow as it happens is the ADVENTURE OF THE NORWOOD BUILDER where an ex-lover of a lady tries to trap her son. There are several other interesting stories; some of them are truly shocking such as the ADVENTURE OF THE PRIORY SCHOOL. Doyle however injects his own brand of British humor into these stories and demonstrates that one can squeeze in a few laughs even during the most trying circumstances. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.