Michael Strogoff or The Courier of the Czar
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 291 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Science Fiction and Fantasy, Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Jesse Fahnestock
- Usage Restrictions:
- This book is in the public domain and is freely available to all.
4 out of 5
By Nathalie Brossard on Nov 15, 2010
Ivan Ogareff, a rogue colonel in the Russian has started a Tartar revolt cutting off eastern Siberia. The Czar's brother the grant duke is in Eastern Siberia. The Czar knows that his brother is in danger since Ivan Ogareff has a personal vendetta against the grand duke. The telegraph lines have been cut by the Tartars and so a courier, Michael Strogoff is sent to warn the grand Duke. Michael Strogoff is a Siberian and has not met his mother for over 3 years. He is about to go on leave to meet her when he gets the commission from the Czar. He has to pass through his home town but without recognizing his mother. At NIJNI-NOVGOROD he befriends a girl Nadia with who he falls in love eventually. His mission is covert and all goes well until his mother recognizes him. Once his cover is blown he is captured and blinded. With Nadia's assistance, he reaches the grand duke in time and kills Ogareff thereby ending the rebellion. The book describes Russia quite well and its portrayal of the people is realistic. The book has its own brand of humor especially in the character of the 2 journalists Harry Blount and M. Jolivet. As opposed to geography, most of the book focuses on the people that Michael Strogoff encounters. This book is well worth reading and is quite inspirational. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.