Off on a Comet
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 306 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of Off on a Comet (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This is a book based on remarkable concept. The protagonists along with a large part of the Mediterranean coast are suddenly placed on a comet. A large part of the book is devoted to the way these people discover this fact. The chief characters are Captain Hector Servadac and Count Wassili Timascheff. Captain Servadac also has an orderly named Ben Zoof While the count has a yacht called the Dobryna which is commanded by Lieutenant Procope, a learned sailor who has good knowledge about several other domains other than navigation. They embark on a tour of exploration to determine the extent of their new world. The Captain and the Count also rescue Nina a little child. Upon returning from their tour, they find that Ben Zoof has also found a group of Spaniard agricultural laborers and a German Jew. The book then goes into detail about their winter quarters and their meeting with the astronomer professor Palmyrin Rosette, Servadac's old science-master at the Lycee Charle-magne. The professor is able to throw light on the questions of the travelers and they realize that the comet is going to pass close to earth once again. This happens and all of them are back on earth. The book is pure science fiction but assuming for a comet to have an atmosphere, is correct in every scientific detail. The only part that Verne cannot account for satisfactorily is the strange separation and uniting of the part of the earth that has been taken away by the comet. Still, the book is an excellent read and is a good way to develop an interest in science and survival skills. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.