Off on a Comet
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 306 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of Off on a Comet (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
This is a book based on remarkable concept. The protagonists along with a large part of the Mediterranean coast are suddenly placed on a comet. A large part of the book is devoted to the way these people discover this fact. The chief characters are Captain Hector Servadac and Count Wassili Timascheff. Captain Servadac also has an orderly named Ben Zoof While the count has a yacht called the Dobryna which is commanded by Lieutenant Procope, a learned sailor who has good knowledge about several other domains other than navigation. They embark on a tour of exploration to determine the extent of their new world. The Captain and the Count also rescue Nina a little child. Upon returning from their tour, they find that Ben Zoof has also found a group of Spaniard agricultural laborers and a German Jew. The book then goes into detail about their winter quarters and their meeting with the astronomer professor Palmyrin Rosette, Servadac's old science-master at the Lycee Charle-magne. The professor is able to throw light on the questions of the travelers and they realize that the comet is going to pass close to earth once again. This happens and all of them are back on earth. The book is pure science fiction but assuming for a comet to have an atmosphere, is correct in every scientific detail. The only part that Verne cannot account for satisfactorily is the strange separation and uniting of the part of the earth that has been taken away by the comet. Still, the book is an excellent read and is a good way to develop an interest in science and survival skills. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.