In Search of the Castaways
- Brief Synopsis:
- Long Synopsis:
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 636 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- English US
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
Reviews of In Search of the Castaways (1 review)
Reviewer: Nathalie Brossard
Jules Verne takes us on a delightful journey through Australia and South America. It all begins with Lord Edward Glenarvan finding a message asking for help in a bottle that is embedded in the body of a shark. Captain Grant set sail from Glasgow in the Britannia. This Wessel has been wrecked on the coast of Patagonia and Captain Grant and 2 sailors are held captive. Lord Glenarvan wants to set out to search for Captain Grant and his surviving crew. The British admiralty are unsympathetic so he sets out himself in his yacht, The Duncan. He is accompanied by his wife, the children of Captain Grant (Merry and Robert) and his cousin Major Mc-Nabs and JACQUES PAGANEL, the secretary of the geographical society, who boards the Duncan by mistake. The party undergoes several thrilling adventures including being trapped by wolves and savages, betrayal by a seaman of dubious character and the disappointment of Captain Grant not being in South America. The characters in the book are well developed and there are several funny and interesting passages about the places the yacht passes. The strength of character of each member of the yacht's company is amply displayed and their efforts are rewarded when Captain Grant is found. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.