In Search of the Castaways
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 636 Pages
- Date of Addition:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Literature and Fiction
- Submitted By:
- Laura Hall
- Usage Restrictions:
- This book is in the public domain and is freely available to all.
4 out of 5
By Nathalie Brossard on Nov 15, 2010
Jules Verne takes us on a delightful journey through Australia and South America. It all begins with Lord Edward Glenarvan finding a message asking for help in a bottle that is embedded in the body of a shark. Captain Grant set sail from Glasgow in the Britannia. This Wessel has been wrecked on the coast of Patagonia and Captain Grant and 2 sailors are held captive. Lord Glenarvan wants to set out to search for Captain Grant and his surviving crew. The British admiralty are unsympathetic so he sets out himself in his yacht, The Duncan. He is accompanied by his wife, the children of Captain Grant (Merry and Robert) and his cousin Major Mc-Nabs and JACQUES PAGANEL, the secretary of the geographical society, who boards the Duncan by mistake. The party undergoes several thrilling adventures including being trapped by wolves and savages, betrayal by a seaman of dubious character and the disappointment of Captain Grant not being in South America. The characters in the book are well developed and there are several funny and interesting passages about the places the yacht passes. The strength of character of each member of the yacht's company is amply displayed and their efforts are rewarded when Captain Grant is found. Written by Pranav Lal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.