To download copyrighted books, you must be signed in as a Member. More information.
Essential Reading Tools
To read accessible books from the Bookshare® library you will need some kind of access technology, such as a hardware device or software reading tool; in addition you can read books in your web browser. If you do not already have software for reading DAISY books, you can download one of the free versions available with your Bookshare membership on the Reading Tools page:
- Victor Reader Soft Bookshare Edition by Humanware.
- READ:OutLoud Bookshare Edition by Don Johnston.
When downloading a book, here are some things to keep in mind:
Once you have found the book you want, on the book information page, choose the format that best suits your needs:
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System)
This format is used for many devices and software applications, such as Victor Reader Soft Bookshare Edition and READ:OutLoud Bookshare Edition.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format)
This format is used with Braille reading devices or Braille printers.
Saving the Book
Bookshare books are downloaded in the standard zip compressed format, and need to be “unzipped” before you can read the books:
- Select the .zip book file.
- Choose Extract All from the File menu. If you can’t find your book, see the FAQ about where different browsers store downloaded books.
- Choose a location for saving the files and provide your password. Bookshare recommends creating a separate folder for saving all your Bookshare books.
After you have saved your book, open it with your preferred reading tool and begin reading.